Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area (LLELA) is a nature preserve with over 2,000 acres of prairies, bottom-land hardwood forests, wetlands, and cross timbers forests perfect for camping, hiking and birding. Mammals such as bobcats, white-tailed deer, and mink, along with over 270 recorded species of birds, such as wild turkeys, painted buntings, and dozens of waterfowl species, can be seen from many of the nature trails.
In addition, numerous sloughs, wetlands, creeks and dry channels, provide homes for wood ducks, and other waterfowl, as well as many turtles, wading birds and amphibians. The Elm Fork River, which originally developed these areas during flooding events, is an ideal fishing location.
LLELA is managed by a group of agencies, including the City of Lewisville, the University of North Texas, Lewisville ISD, and the U.S Army Corps of Engineers. Their mission is to preserve and restore native ecosystems, and to provide and promote environmental education and scientific research.
With such a diversity of habitats, there is a profusion of wildlife at LLELA to be enjoyed by all.
HOURS OF OPERATION
November 1 to February 28
7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
March 1 to October 31
7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Years Day
- $5 per vehicle
- Season passes are available for $60
- Hiking on over six miles of trails.
- Camping and fishing along the beautiful Elm Fork of the Trinity River
- Exciting birding opportunities, including both migratory and resident species
- Canoeing or kayaking on the Elm Fork or in the Beaver Pond (BYOC/K - no equipment available on-site except on pre-arranged river tours)
- Picnicking in their large pavilion area
- Visiting the 1870 Minor-Porter Log Home
REGULAR ORGANIZED ACTIVITIES
- 3rd Saturday of each month, tour the Minor-Porter Log Home
- 3rd Saturday of each month, kayak the Elm Fork of the Trinity River with the experts (weather permitting)
- Last Sunday of each month, visit the prairie for a tour of the bison herd
- Monthly bird walks, contact 972-219-3930 for upcoming dates
- For more information, please visit LLELA.org